Hi,

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Robin Bowes wrote:
> On 01/04/10 00:59, Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:

>>> If you don't mention that the failed drive is a "one-year item" from Dell,
>>> it is covered by your 3-year warranty.
>
> Er, I wouldn't think so - all Dell items have unique serial numbers.
> They will know which items have 3-year support and which have only 1-year.
>
>>> Maybe too if you buy Seagate drives at second source.
>
> I doubt that very much too. Dell drives have Dell firmware. They're not
> going let me send in generic Seagate drives for replacement.

Ok, but if a Dell drive will fail and you put instantly a second-source
drive in for it, you will return the Dell drive.

And in a second phase, you could put your remaining second-source drives
into all the hotspare positions, so they would be very late in a chance
to get directly returned to Dell.

>>> But my question is: why didn't you choose originally the 5-year warranty
>>> from Dell?
>>> You can get it, even if not choosable in the web interface.
>
> Our original systems have 3-year warranty. I have asked if the drives
> can be delivered with 3-year warranty too.

You can relong the warranty to 5 years for the whole system, and that
would cover all Dell-delivered drives.

>> And/or try to get an advertise for drives without tray - I am currently
>> struggling for an empty 3,5" tray for R710 which can accept a 2,5" SATA
>> SSD - Dell can't deliver what I want (at least my sales representative is
>> too much straightened to really understand & act properly - I know it
>> would be possible if I would know the part number), and the proper drive
>> tray with 160 GB SATA disk (to throw away for me) shall cost me 160 Euros
>> plus tax.
>> So the trays are costly - ask to go without.
>
> I have been quoted the same price for the drive, with or without the
> drive tray.

Crazy, Dell, really.

> You know you can buy drive trays here [1] don't you?

Thanks, but my case is a special one: they don't offer 3,5" SAS-trays with
an internal adapter for 2,5" SATA drives - which I would need to swap the
SATA drive and put a SSD instead.

> [1]
> http://www.scsi4me.com/dell-0f238f-3-5-inch-sas-satau-drive-tray-caddy-carrier-for-poweredge-r410-r710-t610-etc.html

Thanks again, also for all others frustrated by the Dell official sales
persons.

Viele Gruesse
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoe...@gwdg.de, e...@kki.org)

--