On 4/17/2010 2:09 PM, Nathan Milford wrote:
Howdy

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950-III (BIOS: 2.6.1) with a PERC6i (FW: 6.2.0-0013, DRIVER: 00.00.04.08-RH2) that is built into a single RAID5 array happily running CentOS 5.4, and has been running happily for some time. We use it to dump impressions data and DB snapshots to.

(Possibly useful info: we use LVM and we're at kernel 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5)

I recently installed a RockerRAID 2314 PCIe card (http://www.highpoint-tech.com/usa/rr2314.htm) and got an eSATA JBOD chassis (http://www.rackmountmart.com/html/SA4001.htm) to add a little more cheap storage for "less important" data.

Brought the RocketRAID's BIOS up to date (v2.5), built the latetst driver from source, loaded it and everything was peachy. I built a RAID5 array with a spare on the live system with the Web-based Management System (v1.4-10), formatted and mounted it. Yay.

We hadn't begun really using the volume yet when I rebooted the machine a few days later for a memory upgrade and it hung on boot at the following screen:

      Booting 'CentOS (2.6.18-164.11.1.el5)'

    root (hd0,0)

    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 ro root = /dev/obnas/root

       [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1d6b1c]

    initrd /initrd-2.6.18-164.11.1.el5.img

       [Linux-initrd @ 0x37cb5000, 0x33a982 bytes]

So, I power cycle the machine, went into the Card's BIOS and delete the array and it booted fine.

I think the RocketRAID is confusing GRUB or something like that when it has a bootable volume.

So I went through the all the BIOS settings, boot orders, array settings on the RocketRIAD BIOS etc.. no luck.

I have a ticket open with HighPoint (makers of the device) but it is the weekend so I don;t expect a reply for a while. I've got a crazy week up ahead before I am out of the office for surgery so I want to try to get this done.

My gut feeling is that it is a common enough problem with add-on cards that have their own BIOS and i am either dense or an awful researcher.

I would greatly appreciate anyone's insight.

Any thoughts?

Nathan Milford
Operations Engineer
Outbrain