Jefferson Ogata wrote:
> On 2010-05-20 16:14, Marc Moreau wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to setup Serial over Lan on my cluster of PowerEdge 1950's.
>> Does anyone have this setup?
>>

> Sure. Use it all the time.

Yes - here too - using ipmitool on Debian. I use pretty much the same
setup with Dell PE 860/1950/R210, Intel SR1500/SSR212MC2, and a couple
of different Tyan boxes too.

Dell's IPMI implementation is reasonable, but for some weird reason,
they want to develop proprietary tools to manage it - what's wrong with
just working with the existing open source tools? They seem to work
pretty well, and have less wacky interfaces than the Dell-proprietary
stuff. I *really* don't get this policy.

> 2. In BMC setup (control-E during POST), enable serial over LAN, set IP
> and password.
>
> ** First thing you should do in BMC setup is reset to default. The BMCs
> often ship with a weird non-default setting that will cause lots of
> serial port feedback if you try to run a getty on the serial console

Actually, a guy I work with ( David from Positive Internet ) recently
fixed that on poweredge 1950s with:

ipmitool raw 0x06 0x40 0x02 0xb8 0x84
ipmitool raw 0x06 0x40 0x02 0x78 0x44

He got this from tracing what the Dell proprietary binary did.....

Cheers,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.