On 2010-06-04 17:43, Ron Croonenberg wrote:
> ok here's what I see:
>
> e2label /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 :   nothing,  empty line

That's *probably* your root partition. This is the important thing to image.

For future reference, you should always partition your systems
appropriately. Don't just throw everything onto one giant / filesystem.
There are many reasons for this, and you're experiencing one of them
now: corruption on one filesystem is corruption of the entire system.
Volatile filesystems (e.g. /var, /tmp, /home) should always be on
distinct volumes as these are the most likely to be damaged.

> e2label /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01 : bad magic number in
> Group-LogVol01. couldn't find valid filesystem superblock

That's *probably* swap.

How about running lvdisplay?

> e2label /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 :  nothing, empty line
> e2label /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 : bad magic number in superblock while
> tryiing to open ..../LogVol01. Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock)

To clarify: /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 is the same device as
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00. Same with the LogVol01 devices. I was
just giving you an alternate way to address the volumes.

> /proc/partitions is empty

That's kind of strange.

> I double checked the partitions with  fdisk -l :
>
>            boot   start   end       blocks     Id      System
> /dev/sda1     *     1        13      104391     83      Linux
> /dev/sda2           14   145880    1171676677+  8e      Linux LVM

The /dev/mapper devices are not partitions. They are logical volumes.
They reside on /dev/sda2 but the partition table doesn't tell you how
large they are; it just gives you an upper bound on their combined size.