On 08/19/2010 08:01 AM, Gavin W. Burris wrote:
> Not all silicone image chips work.  I have two here that do not show up
> at boot.  I contacted my rep, and he quoted me a LaCie eSATA controller
> that did the job perfectly in a PowerEdge 1950.  It was: "3 GB eSATA II
> PCI Express Card (A3054338)"
>
> Cheers.
>
> On 08/19/2010 03:39 AM, Bond Masuda wrote:
>
>> In my experience, the controllers with Silicon Image chipsets provide the
>> best support for eSATA hotplugging. The driver is already in the kernel of
>> RHEL. Beware that trying to convert one of the internal SATA to eSATA may
>> not work; some of the SATA controllers by Intel don't implement the hotplug
>> capability and will lock up the system with a bus reset. I learned this the
>> hard way and after much research found that the Silicon Image controllers
>> were more capable. I think, going from memory from a couple of years ago, I
>> used the Sil3132 chip based controller.
>>
>> -Bond

Thank your for all the responses.  This was helpful.  The Lacie card
looks identical to the ones I listed as well.  Dell appears to no longer
have it.  I orded the one from macsales, cause they said I could return
it if it didn't work with the linux drivers.

 I sure hope these controllers are more reliable then USB.  Besides the
poor performance, I have a PE2950 that gets I/O errors and kernel panics
when I do heavy I/O to USB drives (centos 5).    The same drives run
fine over usb attached to my notebook.

I tried to look at a kernel crash dump, but I've yet to figure out how
to run crash on an image from a PAE kernel.  Maybe you need to be on a
64 bit system to examine a PAE kernel crash dump.

Nataraj