Do you know if you encountered a URE? I've been running into URE's on
large RAID-5 arrays that use 500GB, 750GB, 1TB drives... basically,
RAID-5 might survive a single disk failure, but the rebuild will kill it
due to URE. In this situation, usually you can force "online" the disk
that had the URE and still be able to read data in degraded state as
long as you avoid the block that has the URE. If URE is the issue, then
you should start considering RAID-6.

Were there any kernel messages when the I/O stopped? Have you dumped the
log from the controller? If not, that's where I would start looking....

-Bond