From: Blake Hudson <bl...@ispn.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:22:14 -0700
To: <linux-poweredge@dell.com>
Subject: Re: Performance of MD1220 on Perc H800 slower than MD1120 on Perc/6E

________________________________
From: Richard Ems <richard....@cape-horn-eng.com>
 Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 03:11:12 -0700
 To: Marc Stephenson <marc.stephen...@lithium.com>
 Cc: <linux-poweredge@dell.com>

On 08/16/2010 09:59 PM, Marc Stephenson wrote:
> Their next recommendation was to try installing RHEL 5 which I'm working
> on now. Has anyone else seen performance problems on their MD1220's?

Hi Marc,

Any new performance values on RHEL 5 ?
Why are you using sysbench? Have you tried other tools?

We are getting a MD1200 and a H800 controller the next days, and I am
very interested in your results. We are going to use also XFS.

Your HDDs are 2.5", right? Aren't this drives slower than the 3.5" ones?

Best regards,
Richard

Just FYI, the only 2.5" 300GB drives I can spec a power vault with are 10k RPM,
while the only 3.5" 300GB drives (currently) are 15k RPM. 15k > 10k. When it
comes to rotating magnetic disk drives, faster rotation is better.

You can get 15k drives in the MD1220, but they're going to be smaller so you're
going to need more if you want to keep the same capacity.

There's nothing intrinsically slower about a 2.5" drive - in fact, 15k 3.5"
drives use platters sized between 2.5" and 3". However, there is room for more
platters in a 3.5" drive. Which means that there are less compromises between
high capacity and high speed - you can have both in the 3.5" form factor. 2.5"
drives seem to be either high capacity or high speed, but not both.

--Blake