On Thu, November 11, 2010 10:25, Jacob P wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having an issue with a PERC 6/i card and I was hoping to get some
> guidance from the gurus on this list.
>
> We're having an issue with the controller 'puncturing bad blocks', but
> it's 'remembering' the sectors after swapping out with a hotspare.

Looks like the infamous and somewhat nebulous "punctured stripe".  Your
PERC is presenting the RAID volume as an emulated hard disk, and when you
end up with emulated bad blocks, they'll move around WRT the actual
physical drives.  The only sure way to get rid of them is said to be
recreating the volume from scratch and reloading the files from backup.

There are people participating on this list who understand this far better
than I do, and I hope one or more of them elaborate for us.