From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of John Leach
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 7:00 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: H700 punctured stripe / emulated bad blocks

Hi,

Our PERC H700 is remembering bad blocks on disks, even though they don't
exist.

We had a mirror pair in a RAID10 get kicked out suddenly.  A disk scan
showed the exact same block on both disks was bad. A suspicious start :)

Dell support told us this was a "punctured raid stripe" and replacing
the disks, and recreating the raid container with a full initialisation
will fix it. They said the bad block had been "copied".

Not content with wiping the entire container for the sake of one 256k
stripe, I've been investigating this for a few days now (the data on it
is not important - I'm interested in working this out for next time).

I've tried a lot of arrangements, even copying one of the disks (with no
media errors encountered I might add) to a new disk, raid metadata and
all, and then trying to rebuild to a new disk from it - the rebuild
fails at the same point, offlining both disks. Note: *neither* of the
original disks are in the the array here.

It boots fine and the virtual disk is available normally until the
background initialisation (or a rebuild) hits the supposed bad block and
then the vdisk is offlined.

I've come to the conclusion that the RAID controller is emulating the
bad blocks. It's either remembering them in it's nvram, or they're
stored in the disk's raid metadata (though definitely not in the disks
GLIST, as I've checked that).

It seems to only "discover" them when a background init or rebuild runs
though. But it's definitely finding them on disks that definitely do not
have them.

Any thoughts? It is extremely frustrating that the only way to get the
controller to forget about these bad blocks seems to be a full wipe of
all the disks.

Some possible hints:

megacli tells me that "Disable Puncturing" is set to no. Maybe setting
this to yes would help (just for the rebuild to complete). Can't see how
to set this.

the omconfig tool has a "clearvdbadblocks" action, which sounds
promising. It unfortunately returns "operation disabled" when executed.
I can't find any documentation about what this action does.

Thanks,

John.
--
Brightbox