Paweł Eljasz,
        A technician from Dell is better suited specifically to answer
your question, but you need only to review the sequence of events
regarding the Spectre and Meltdown patches for reasons that the
ability to downgrade is useful.

1) CVE-2017-5715, CVE-2017-5753, and CVE-2017-5754 published
<https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html>
2) Intel patches microcode of CPUs
<https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/intel-issues-updates-protect-systems-security-exploits/>
3) Driver incompatibilities
<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/spectre-and-meltdown-patches-causing-trouble-as-realistic-attacks-get-closer/>
4) Unexpected reboots
<http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-spectre-reboot-update-tested,36378.html>
5) Dell recommends earlier UEFI with earlier microcode
<http://www.dell.com/support/article/in/en/inbsd1/sln308588/microprocessor-side-channel-vulnerabilities-cve-2017-5715-cve-2017-5753-cve-2017-5754-impact-on-dell-emc-products-dell-enterprise-servers-storage-and-networking->
6) Red Hat finds degraded performance with patches
<https://access.redhat.com/articles/3307751>
7) Intel releases new microcode
<https://newsroom.intel.com/news/security-issue-update-progress-continues-firmware-updates/>

        Your point of having the information transparently documented
with a simple command-line switch for activation that is disabled by
default resonates with me.  In many cases, such as the microcode
patch, we are dealing with trade-offs and risks.  If I mitigate
speculative execution but reduce performance by 19%, then I want to
know what I have exchanged.  The key is informing the person
responsible for the decision; otherwise, the downstream user is
completely at the mercy of the upstream developer.
--
                Zachary Wincek