Hi David,

Backup your data first ifyou are using a production box.

Read completely this HOWTO as it outlines the process of going from non-raid
to bootable raid:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO.html

Please note that the above HOWTO references an older lilo. I recommend using
21.5 or later for the bootable raid 1.

Here is my lilo.conf for your reference.
boot=/dev/md1
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=vmlinux
vga=normal
keytable=/boot/us.klt
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinux
 label=vmlinux
 root=/dev/md0
 append="ide6=0x168,0x36e,10 ide0=autotune ide1=autotune ide6=autotune"
 read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
 label=vmlinuz
 root=/dev/md0
 read-only
image=/boot/bzImage
 label=z
 root=/dev/md0
 read-only

Also reference this:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/FAQ/Linux-RAID-FAQ

Then go here as this will incorporate the latest patches needed for raid:
http://www.linuxraid.org/

If you are using ide then get the latest patches from here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/

Another resource for well packaged patches to the 2.2.18 kernel is:
http://www.hattaway-associates.com/raidpatches/

and finally, consult this mailing list:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

archived at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-raid&r=1&w=2

Good luck!
Charles

p.s.
If anyone has anything helpful or more up-to-date to add to this list of
resources, please feel free.