Hi,

I have a RAID setup, 3 Compaq 4Gb drives running of an Adaptec2940UW.
Kernel 2.2.18 with RAID-patches etc.

I have been trying out various options, doing some stress-testing etc.,
and I have now arrived at the following situation that I cannot explain:

when running the 3 drives in a RAID5 config, one of the drives (always the
same one) will always fail in during heavy IO or during a resync phase. It
appears to produce one IO error (judging from messages in the log), upon
which it is promptly removed from the array.
I can then hotremove the failing drive, then hotadd it - and resync starts,
and quite often completes. This scenario is consistently repeatable.

So, it would seem that this one drive has a hardware problem. So I ran badblocks
with write-check on it, couple of times - came out 100% clean.
I then built a RAID0 array instead - and started driving lots of IO on it -
it's still running - not a problem. Filled up the array, still no probs.

So, except when the drive is in a RAID5 config, it seems ok.

Any suggestions ? I would like to confirm whether or whether not the
drive has a problem.

thanks,
Per Jessen

regards,