Alan Cox wrote:

>>> 1) Read and write errors should be retried at least once before kicking
>>>    the drive out of the array.
>>
>> This doesn't seem unreasonable on the face of it.
>
> Device level retries are the job of the device level driver

Umm. Isn't RAID implemented as the md device? That implies that it is
responsible for some kind of error management. Bluntly, the file systems
don't declare a file system kaput until they've retried the critical
I/O operations. Why should RAID5 be any less tolerant?

And, lower level device drivers are not consistent in their error recovery
policies. RAID5 is specifically supposed to be MORE fault tolerant than
regular drives. I think that provides enough excuse for adding some level
of operation retry. But, I think your point is that this could be over-done,
so it should only be one retry at this level.

Sorry, the above has just a touch to much edge on it. :-)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]