On 11-Apr-01 at 16:39:16 Bob Glamm wrote:
>>   If you have /dev/md0 as raid1 mirroring /dev/hda5 and /dev/hdc5,
>> then you want to boot with root=/dev/md0, not root=/dev/hda5.
>> Also, you should be running e2fsck on /dev/md0, not the actual
>> partitions.
>
> True, but that's not the root cause of the problem.  I saw this
> message about two months ago - it turns out that there is an
> inconsistency between software RAID and extended/logical partitions
> on a device.  Trying to do software RAID over anything but primary
> partitions results in exactly the message he sees.

I finally cracked this problem late last night :-) Again, many thanks to
those offering suggestions as to its cause. However, by moving the
partitions to primary ones made no difference (in this case). I eventually
moved one of the partitions to a completely separate (logical) one, and then
rebuilt the raid array for the primary partitions. Moved the stuff back, and
the system then seemed to boot up fine. The fsck check on the root partition
(/dev/md0) now worked fine :-)

The difference, I think, was that previously I ran mkraid and then e2fsck'd
each drive (hda3 and hdc3) rather than /dev/md0. This must have caused each
disk to appear different and seem to be out of sync when using e2fsck on
/dev/md0.

Upon shutdown I still get a 'failed' message when raid is stopped - it still
says /dev/md0 is in use. However, this may be because it tries to shutdown
the root partition and then shutdown /proc afterwards. Despite /proc being
something of a virtual disk perhaps the system does not recognise it as such
when the root is shutdown. Perhspas the two should just be swapped
around - shutdown /proc and then stop raid? Rebooting the system, and the
root fsck check, shows that there are no problems caused by this though.

Whether the use of logical partitions was also a problem I don't know. With
redhat 7.1 just released I may try using them again when I install it :-)

Thanks,

John.