At 17/05/01 -0700, you wrote:

>It is. The reason for my question is that some controllers do this
>implicitly. I was just wondering what the official solution, in
>software, is. There's no reason that you couldn't combine the two parts
>into a linear array either. The first mirror is then written to until
>full, and the the next is used. You don't get the increased write
>performance by having the stripe though. Anyway, it just seems like md
>should do this automatically, but it doesn't seem to, unless I'm missing
>something entirely.

I think that instead of doing 2 RAID 1 arrays, you better have to do 2 RAID
0 array. If one disk fail in a RAID 1 array, It could bring the entire
array down (I ever saw such a thing), and your RAID 0 array will be down
too. But in the other case, if a drive fail, it will only bring down the
RAID 0 array, but NOT the RAID 1 one.

I have tested the two setup, and I think that the second (RAID 0 then RAID
1), is the most reliable.

--

Moi j'aime Windows NT car cela me rappele mes petits cousins :
"Benoit, on a rien fait et c'est cassé"