Robert Heinzmann wrote:
Hello,

can someone verify if the following statements are true ?

- It's not possible to simply convert a existing partition with a filesystem on it to a raid1 mirror set.

I believe you're right, but I'm not totally sure on this one. I'd take the second disk, create a new RAID1 with the first drive "missing" on the mdadm --create commandline, copy everything over to it, put grub on it, then test that it boots correctly by pulling the first drive out.

Only once the RAID1 is working (in degraded mode) add the original first drive back in, but booting off the RAID1, then add it to the RAID set to complete the pair. With that process, the question is somewhat moot, although I'm interested in the real answer too

- Using a former disk of a raid1 array as a usual disk (not mounted as degrated /dev/mdX, but instead mounted as /dev/sdX or /dev/hdX) is successfull.

This is because the MD device layer reports the device size as size of disk - superblock offset during the creation of a filesystem on the MD device. Thus the used size of the disk, when mounting it as /dev/sdX /dev/hdX, is some KB smaller than it could be, but no data is lost.

This matches my experience, although autodiscovery can get in your way, as you mention yourself

-Mike