Doug Ledford wrote:
Nah.  Even if we had concluded that udev was to blame here, I'm not
entirely certain that we hadn't left Daniel with the impression that we
suspected it versus blamed it, so reiterating it doesn't hurt.  And I'm
sure no one has given him a fix for the problem (although Neil did
request a change that will give debug output, but not solve the
problem), so not dropping it entirely would seem appropriate as well.
I've opened a bug report on Ubuntu's Launchpad.net. Scott James Remnant asked me to cc him on Neil's incremental reference - we'll see what happens from here.

Thanks for the help guys. At the moment, I've changed my mdadm.conf to explicitly list the drives, instead of the auto=partition parameter. We'll see what happens on the next reboot.

I don't know if it means anything, but I'm using a self-compiled 2.6.22 kernel - with initrd. At least I THINK I'm using initrd - I have an image, but I don't see an initrd line in my grub config. Hmm....I'm going to add a stanza that includes the initrd and see what happens also.

--
Daniel