Neil Brown wrote:
On Saturday January 5, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/hdb5
mdadm: Cannot open /dev/hdb5: Device or resource busy

All the solutions I've been able to google fail with the busy. There is nothing that I can find that might be using /dev/hdb5 except the raid device and it appears it's not either.

Very odd. But something must be using it.

What does
   ls -l /sys/block/hdb/hdb5/holders
show?
What about
   cat /proc/mounts
   cat /proc/swaps
   lsof /dev/hdb5
??
NeilBrown

Problem is not raid, or at least not obviously raid related. The problem is that the whole disk, /dev/hdb is unavailable.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# for i in /dev/hdb?
> do
> mount $i /mnt
> done
mount: /dev/hdb1 already mounted or /mnt busy
mount: /dev/hdb2 already mounted or /mnt busy
mount: /dev/hdb3 already mounted or /mnt busy
mount: /dev/hdb4 already mounted or /mnt busy
mount: /dev/hdb5 already mounted or /mnt busy
mount: /dev/hdb6 already mounted or /mnt busy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

I can fdisk it but none of the partitons are available. Knoppix can access it normally so it's not a hardware issue. No funny messages in the syslog. So I'll go off and stop harassing this list. ;)

Thanks,
Jim.