Mark Hahn said:     (by the date of Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:40:12 -0500 (EST))

> >> I'm also interested in hearing people's opinions about LVM / EVMS.
> >
> > With LVM it will be possible for you to have several raid5 and raid6:
> > eg: 5 HHDs (raid6), 5HDDs (raid6) and 4 HDDs (raid5). Here you would
> > have 14 HDDs and five of them being extra - for safety/redundancy
> > purposes.
>
> that's a very high price to pay.
>
> > partition on top of them. Without LVM you will end up with raid6 on
> > 14 HDDs thus having only 2 drives used for redundancy. Quite risky
> > IMHO.
>
> your risk model is quite strange - 5/14 redundancy means that either

yeah, sorry. I went too far.

I didn't have IO controller failure so far. But I've read about one
on this list, and that all data was lost.

You're right, better to duplicate a server with backup copy, so it is
independent of the original one.