I fought with this for a full day before I got it to work. I was
pleasantly surprised to findd that it 'just worked'. The required lines
were already in rc.sysinit, even.

Here are my specifics. (YMMV)

RedHat 5.2, kernel level 2.0.36
raidtools-0.50beta10-2 RPM installed
fdisk all disks, to provide a single partition on each one
mkfs -t ext2 on each disk
editted and moved to /etc: raid0.conf, and raidtab
reboot
And behold, it worked ! At boot, I got this ...

REGISTER_DEV sda1 to md0 done
REGISTER_DEV sdb1 to md0 done
REGISTER_DEV sdc1 to md0 done
REGISTER_DEV sdd1 to md0 done
raid0 personality registered
raid0 : Allocating 8 bytes for hash.

RAIDTAB

# raiddev configuration file

raiddev /dev/md0
    raid-level                0
    nr-raid-disks             4
    nr-spare-disks            0
    chunk-size                8

    device                    /dev/sda1
    raid-disk                 0
    device                    /dev/sdb1
    raid-disk                 1
    device                    /dev/sdc1
    raid-disk                 2
    device                    /dev/sdd1
    raid-disk                 3

RAID0.CONF

#  raid-0 configuration
raiddev                 /dev/md0
raid-level              0               # it's not obvious but this
*must be
                                        # right after raiddev
nr-raid-disks           4
nr-spare-disks          0

device                  /dev/sda1
raid-disk               0

device                  /dev/sdb1
raid-disk               1

device                  /dev/sdc1
raid-disk               2

device                  /dev/sdd1
raid-disk               3

raid0 striped set, 4 x 9 gb Quantum disks on a SymBios logic 'generic'
card.