Re!

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Previously before inserting my Linux hostname to DNS server, I could run
> ping program.

Has this something to do with RAID??

> After inserting, I can run ping. It says "Ping : ping must run as root"
> I checked the access control. It shown "-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     senoko
> 14340 May  6  1998 ping"

Wrong. Do "chmod 4755 ping" as root.

> The other problem is when I log-in as root, I can't ping to myself (either
> using IP address or DNS names) but I can ping other systems. Similarly,
> from other systems I cang ping my Linux using IP and DNS names.

If DNS-resolving works, IP and the DNS-Name are nearly the same... Maybe
your're using the wrong IP/Name at all. Look at the output of "ifconfig".
Check also "ping 127.0.0.1" and ask the next nearby linux-profi in your
town or look at www.linux.org for a mailinglist, which fits better that
linux-raid. (!)

Bye,
        Robert