yes- we use raid0 on two ide disks for cacheing. i dont recommend that for
anything important though (/, /usr, /var, etc.) we have a big /squid that
we use for raid0, everthing else is raid1 on the same two disks.

doubling your chance of downtime due to hd failure seems irresponsible of
your own time.

stripe size and ext2 block size become important to extract every bit of
performance out of the system.

al

ps- get rid of that "winmail.dat" at the bottom of your email. really
annoying, non-mime compliant fake attachments suck. especially on a linux
mailing list :)