Hi,

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 15:55:35 +0200 (CEST), MOLNAR Ingo
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Tod Detre wrote:

>> in 2.1 kernels you can mak nfs a block device.  raid can work with block
>> devices so if you raid5 several nfs computers one can go down, but you
>> still can go on.

> you probably want to use Stephen Tweedie's NBD (Network Block Device),

Heh, thanks, but the credit is Pavel Machek's.  I've just been testing
and bug-fixing it.

> which works over TCP and is such more reliable and works over bigger
> distance and larger dropped packets range. You can even have 5 disks on 5
> continents put together into a big RAID5 array. (ment to survive a
> meteorite up to the size of a few 10 miles ;) and you can loopback it
> through a crypt^H^H^H^H^Hcompression module too before sending it out to
> the net.

Of course, you'll need to manually reconstruct the raid array as
appropriate, and you don't get raid autostart on a networked block
device either.  However, it ought to be fun to watch, and I'm hoping we
can integrate this method of operation into some of the clustering
technology now appearing on Linux to do failover of NFS services if one
of the networked raid hosts dies.  Just remount the raid on another
machine using the surviving networked disks, remount ext2fs and migrate
the NFS server's IP address: voila!

--Stephen