>While I'm not new to Linux or RAID, I am new to RAID on Linux.
>I've read the Root-RAID-HOWTO about 10 times and I'm about as
>confused as when I first started.

I can sympathise. I decided to postpone trying to RAID the root partition
until later - much later. At least until I fully understand Linux Software
RAID. The Software RAID Howto is less of a HOWTO than a FAQ for experienced
RAIDers... Took me about 20 minutes to figure out that mdadd and raidadd are
actually the same thing. :)

My question, I guess, is: Am I right in thinking that it's necessary to
create a script in rc2.d which executes raidrun and mount, and another in
rc0.d which runs unmount and raidstop, to mount and unmount my raid
partition?

The OS I'm using is Redhat 5.2, 2.0.38 kernel recompiled for SMP (2
Pentiums, 320Mb RAM) with RAID support included at compile time. Version of
raidtools in use is raidtools-0.50beta10 (off the RedHat CD). Setup is a
pair of internal 2Gb Seagate Barracudas, sda1/sdb1 are the root partitions
which aren't going to be raided, partitions 2 and 3 are swap and tmp and
sda4/sdb4 are the two partitions I'm mirroring as md0. There's also a
JADLogic RAID on /dev/sdc, but that doesn't have anything to do with the
software raid - it's hardware. The only other idiosyncracy is that there are
two network cards...

Also, http://luthien.nuclecu.unam.mx/~miguel/raid don't exist anymore - is
there another "home page" for the raidtools?

Jack Gavigan
(who is tempted to write a "Beginners Software RAID HOWTO" ;)

PS: Purely out of curiousity, does anyone have any experience with fibre
channel or HP MO jukeboxes under Linux?