> You need to start using data at cylinder 1 on all disks or it will get
> nuked.  It doesn't happen on the first disk because ext2 skips some
> space at the beginning of the volume.
>
> Swap space has the same problem, you cannot start it at cyliner 0.
> So if RAID adds a workaround for it, the problem is still there just
> in another case.  The solution is to educate people that they need to
> be careful when they partition their disks.

I don't agree with this solution. New SWAPSPACE2 handles this well (it can
sit at cylinder 0), and IMHO RAID should behave like that as well, ie. leave
first 1k/4k/8k (someone decide) untouched and not part of the actual raid.

Cheers,
    Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University
UltraLinux  |  http://ultra.linux.cz/  |  http://ultra.penguin.cz/
Linux version 2.2.0 on a sparc64 machine (3958.37 BogoMips)