James,

First of all, you probably want to reboot. This will rename your devices
to their typical values. To add a device into a failed raid slot, you
can use the raidhotadd command. do something like:

        raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/hdc2

This will add the device to the raid set and start a resync operation.

BTW: I hope you are only trying raid out with the setup you have shown
below. Using the same device more than once in a raid set is: 1)slow,
and 2)does not protect your data.

I hope this helps some. I may be off target in what you have done and
what you want to do.

<>< Lance.