Hi,

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 17:08:48 -0500 (EST), Billy Harvey
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I'm new to raid discussion.  Why would you expect a 60 minute fsck
> everytime?  Would the boot up not skip that if the shutdown was clean?
> Journaling seems like a complicated solution to save the time of an
> occassional fsck.  Am I missing the obvious here?

Raid is most often used on large, 24-hour systems where any downtime
at all is too much.  Such systems are not expected to be rebooted
often: what is important is the recovery time after _unplanned_
reboots, such as power failures or crashes.  For user-visible servers,
long recovery times after these events are unacceptable.

--Stephen