Hi there.

First of all, I have been looking through a lot of documents today - I am
sorry if I missed one that covers my question - please point it to me if
that is the case.

I am looking into setting up a failover raid system. Something like
(logically - the actual setup may differ).
              +----+
+-----+-------|pc 0|
|disks|       +----+
+-----+-------+----+
              |pc 1|
              +----+

Say the disk covers 100 GB, in 2 volumes of 50GB. Each volume is handled
by one of the pc's. (pc 0 handles volume 0, and pc 1 handles volumen 1).
Now, what I want is, that if pc 0 fails somehow, pc 1 should be able to
handle volume 0, as well as volume 1.

My question is multipart;
- what kind of hardware do I need?
- what kind of software do I need? (We do not mind writing a bit of
software ourselves, btw)

I have been looking at controllers from IPC-Vortex, and IBM SSA
controllers. It seems that it is modelled so that to the set of disks, a
controller is connected. This controller is then again connected to the
controllers in the PC's. Is it impossible to simply connect the
controllers from the two pc's and all the disks to the same cable? What
kind of hardware would that require, and what kind of software?

Thanks in advance.

Mads

P.S. Almost forgot : the actual disks should be hotswappable (probably
raid 5?)

--
---
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]