> Basically: to get improved Read performance because of mirrored-disks,
> DO I NEED 2 SCSI CARDS?  Or will the command queueing/SCSI subsystem still
> give me a benefit?
>
> Right now I'm assuming 2 separate cards is better....

You can get increased read performance with both drives on one scsi controller,
two seperate cards is better, but not usually necessary or worth it.
The money you spend on the second controller might be better spend on a
third disk.
Seperate controllers really helps when your SCSI bandwidth is almost all
used, which probably won't happen with two drives on an ultra2 controller.

> Anybody have opinions on RAID levels and/or on quality of tekram cards -vs-
> Adaptec, etc. ?
My friend has an older tekram card and is pretty satisfied, I've been
satisfied with Mylex/Buslogic and the newer Symbios cards (which are a
great value).

Have fun.

Chris