Oliver Henlich wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> I'm looking for some advice.
>
> Our IT department is going to buy us a development server for me to put
> Linux onto. They are determined to go with a Hardware RAID solution and a
> multiprocessor motherboard.

Do yourself a favour, and use software RAID. It'll
cost you considerably less, and be much faster.

> So what are your suggestions for a
>  - dual proc motherboard

You could do worse than getting a SuperMicro P6DBE +
two Pentium II/III Xeons.

>  - RAID controller

See above, but if you really have to get a HW RAID
controller (you've got money to burn and hate high
performance systems, right?-), get the ICP Vortex
controller. It's very well supported by Linux and
their tech support department will deal with Linux-
related requests promptly.

> (preferably something we could get from Compaq/DELL?)

DELL's PERC (PowerEdge RAID Controller) is a expensive
pile of crud. Avoid at all costs. I would go for a
custom-built system. We've had good results from
Penguin Computing (http://www.penguincomputing.com/)
and you might also want to look at VA Research.

Rich.

--
Bibliotech Ltd., 631-633 Fulham Rd., London SW6 5UQ.  +44 171 460 4344
http://www.bibliotech.co.uk/ ------ Home page: http://www.annexia.org/