In the end we managed to get the RAID up and running again, the funny thing
is that, instead of using the most recent drive and the last most recent one
we HAD to use the most out of sync and the last most recent one, invert their
order in raidtab and mkraid again. I haven't understood why this is so, but,
at the moment the important thing is a tape is backing up all the data on
the md device ;P

All of this hacking has got a couple of thoughts I'd like to share with you:
RAID is all very well for data protection should something nasty happen to
one (or more, depending on raid levels you're using) of the drives, but, as
any new feature, it adds complexity to an otherwise "simple" situation:
the feature I MOST would have liked in the situation I had at the moment was
the possibility to update superblocks only and a tool which could read and
let me write what I wanted in the various superblocks of the devices comprised
in the array.

All in all, I would have liked a tool like dumpe2fs or e2fsed to read the
superblocks, and that mkraid had a nice --superblocks-only option.

Thanks again to everybody.
Giulio