Hi, I am new to this list, so forgive me if I ask trivial questions. I
am in the process of converting two Debian (potato) machines that I
installed at a client's site to use raid1 with SCSI disks. One machine
is a masquerading firewall, one a web server.

It seems from the documentation I read that root raid (meaning
boot-on-raid, is it the same?) is the most desirable solution, although
not the best supported especially when using raid1.

First, kernel-2.2.7's documentation states that booting on raid1 is not
supported yet, but looking at the alpha raidtools-0.90 package it seems
possible. Does it mean that if I patch the kernel sources appropriately
then booting on raid1 is supported (experimentally)?

Second, is there any way at all that I can implement raid1 without
destroying all data on my present disks? From the docs this seems
inevitable.

Third, (naive questions) if raid1 supports on-the-fly disk
"reconstruction" why can't I simply add another identical disk alongside
my present one, activate raid1 non-destructively and have disk2 be
"reconstructed" as the mirror image of disk1?

Finally, I read that the way to install root-raid is to use the to-be
swap partition to install a minimal Linux system, then create the raid1
partition, then test and configure the kernel, then boot from raid and
install the complete system. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry again for the newbie questions.

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.aparima.com