> > I have used Partition Magic 4.0 several times on non-raid systems.
> > I didn't encounter any trouble shrinking, expanding, creating or moving
> > ext2fs Partitions.
>
> Did you ever move a primary to a logical ?

No.  And I just tried to. It doesn't do it.  And if I think about it, it
would be quite "hard" to accomplish this.

> 1.5) run resize2fs on md1, while still running Linux.
>      This "should" work for RAID[0134], but not linear ...

I didn't know that it is possibble to shrink a partition with Linux tools
:-) Nevertheless, PM is really easy to use and has really done good jobs so
far. According to http://lwn.net/980514/a/resizefs.html the resize2fs seemed
to be implemeted initially in PM 3.0, so 4.0 probably has the same thing
with a different GUI.

> > 2. Boot the server from a DOS Disk with Partiton Magic ("PM").
>
> Personally, I'd use fdisk rather than Partiton Magic, as you can do it all
> from Linux without rebooting until the deed has been done (to re-read the
> partition table, which needs a rebbot -- real bummer that !!!!).

...thought I had to because otherwise I couldn't shrink a partition without
loosing all data.

> > 3. Shrink the sda3/sdb3 Partitions by 1 GB.
>
> So long as they are not linear this "should" be fine if you have
> done "1.5)".
> If md1 is RAID1, it stands some chance of working anyway ...

Yes, it is.  It is a patched 2.0.36 Kernel (raid0145-19990128-2.0.36) with
raidtools-19990128-0.90, running RAID1.

> > 4. Move the sda4/sdb4 Partitions to the end of sda3/sdb3.
> > 5. Change the Partition type of sda4/sdb4 to logical (alll four
> partitions
> > were primary partitions)
> > 6. Create sda5/sdb5 (Swap) and sda6/sdb6 (1GB each) logical partitions
>
> sdX4 are swap, so I'd say "delete sdX4, create bigger sdX4 as
> ext, and create
> two logical partitions".
You're right...

> OK -- consider an alternative ...
>
> 1) backup all data
> 2) dismount and raidstop md1
> 3) run resize2fs on md1
>    ensure there is at least 8K free at the end of each partition
> for the PSB
>    (it's 4K on a 4K boundry)

Can I run resize2fs after md1 has been stopped? Shouldn't I just umount it?

> 4) use fdisk (or cfdisk or whatever) to
>    a) delete sdX4
>    b) create the (now larger) sdX4 as ext
>    c) create sdX[56], setting the partition types accordingly
> 5) be tidy rather than lazy -- delete swap and md1 from /etc/fstab
> 6) reboot (single user if plausible, otherwise multi-user)
> 7) mkswap, edit fstab, and "swapon -a"
> 8) "mkraid /dev/md1", edit fstab and "mount -a"
> 9) add md2 to raidtab, "mkraid /dev/md2", edit fstab and "mount -a"
>
> NB: assuming you are using raidtools 0.90, the "mkraid" in step 8
> should *ONLY*
>     write the PSB -- it should *NOT* destroy the data. It will
> waste its time
>     doing a "resync" if RAID[145], but that *should* be harmless
> if everything
>     was consistent in step "2)".
>
> But hey -- you did step "1)" :-))

Thanks a lot... Hope I get it done during the weekend....

Till