Filippo Carletti wrote:

> >If possible you should do a test by either finding some big programs to run
> >that require alot of memory or write a quick C program that malloc's hugh
> >amounts of memory.
> >
> >You would only get the above problem if the kernel runs out of real memory
> >faster then it can swap it out.... Sendmail can do this:-)
>
> Swapping to raid1 works. I wrote a little program to malloc huge quantities
> of memory and I saw the machine swapping. The machine is now in production
> and is a mail server and is running sendmail 8.9.3 and it's swapping
> (seldom) and it works.
>
> Ciao,
> Filippo.

Cool!
    What version of raid were you using?
    Also what kernel release?
    Last question: What distribution of Linux eg RedHat?

It sounds like I should setup some of my systems here with SWAP on RAID-1 and
see how it goes.. It also sounds like the HOW-TO needs updating:-)

Thanks for the info!

Regards,
David Robinson