I would try to recompile the kernel with RAID linked in just to be sure.

So booting the kernel into single user mode and doing a raidstart /dev/md0
then a mount /dev/md0 doesn't start the array?

Do you have a seperate boot disk or is this RAID your root device?

If you keep having trouble post your kernel boot messages so we can see
what's happening. Also attach your raid config file.