I can't help you directly, but I'v a policy of staying away from Compaq hardware. They have a NASTY habit of being non-standard (since their very first machine, non-standard video). As a result, they always give trouble. The latest case is for upgrading laptop hard drives, It's not SCSI and it's NOT IDE, it compaq-IDE folks (different pin-out)! Drives exclusively available, from compaq, at schtup-you, prices! Then there is that problem of the on-motherboard NIC, that no one else has drivers for (if compaq doesn't support your OS then you're toast).

Compaq makes "compatibles" not "clones". It is the difference between androids and humans. Walk and talk the same, but under the skin's a different story. Talk to anyone who's ever cussed at compaq hardware.

Sorry if this sounds like an anti-compaq rant, it isn't. Just a warning.
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Tomas Schonfeldt
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 1999 2:04 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Smart Controller problems

Hi!

I recently got my hands on a smart array pci controller and I'm wondering if I can use this in a non-compaq computer. I tried to plug it in my cumputer, but it isn't detected by the Compaq Array Config Utils... :( Neither does it show in the pci device listing. Is it broken or do I just need a compaq computer?

I really want this card to worke since I got 7x2.1 Gb drives with it :)

/ Tomas