Although your point is very valid, the stability of the filesystem is not
in question.... although the array is running in "degraded" mode, the
filesystem stability is assured by fsck rather than the resync process....
surely your data is more important than your OS.....

If a second disk were to fail before the resync was complete then only
resynced data would be recoverable... so the OS is probably least
important... although it should be small enough that resyncing it is
trivial....

I'd be interested to know what answer you get... mabe it's based on the
device numbers although the fact that it starts on MD2 suggests that this
is not the case....

I think the most likley explanation is that it is related to the order in
which the devices were either created or detected... if detected then it's
probably the device which had the most recent timestamp in it's superblock
which is probably the one which took longest to unmount.

James

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Matt Coene wrote:

> Quick question concerning resyncing / regeneration...
>
> I have 4 9.1 U2W SCSI drives each one with 6 partitions, in a setup as
> follows
>
> /dev/md0 (sda2, sdb2, sdc2, sdd2)
> /dev/md1 (sda3, sdb3, sdc3, sdd3)
> /dev/md2 (sda5, sdb5, sdc5, sdd5)
> /dev/md3 (sda6, sdb6, sdc6, sdd6)
> /dev/md4 (sda7, sdb7, sdc7, sdd7)
>
> plus the swap partitions.. sda1, sdb1, sdc1, sdd1...
>
> Is there anyway to set a preference on which md devices to rebuild first in
> the event of a failure?  I have been testing with the odd powerfailure
> scenario and it seems for me that when the system comes back up, for me
> anyway, the system tries to resync /dev/md2, which for me is a massive
> database partition which takes over half-an-hour to regenerate.  For me it
> would be more important to check the stability of the OS and make sure the
> system comes back online properly first, then goes back to recover the
> /dev/md2.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>

> Matt.C.
> -Systems Admin
> Alliance

A.J. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Sometimes you're ahead, somtimes you're behind.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.