> I think it is possible to create swap 'spaces' larger than 128M, but it
> will only take advantage of the first 128M (but I can't find an exact
> answer in the kernel right now). Can you point me to a page or kernel
> source that says you can use more that 128M,  I can't find it.  Thanks.

You may indeed use a single swapspace bigger than 128M.
The old limitation came from the layout of data structures in
the swap partition, but there is a new swap partition format you may
use now.  (use mkswap -v1, or simply run a new mkswap on a large
swap area)

For literature, try "man mkswap" with a sufficiently new mkswap installed.
A debian 2.1 installation have this new mkswap.  Or you may look at
the kernel 2.2.x/2.3.x docs and check what versions you ought to
have of various utilities.

Helge Haftingq