>From: Robert Purdy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Does anyone know how far ext3 is off? Also I heard SGI had released thier
>code for journaling? Is this to be adopted into ext3?

Well there was a discussion about this on linux-kernel about a month ago.
AFAICT, there's work being done by Stephen Tweedie on ext3, but it is one
among many of his projects I'm sure.  I think he was shooting for a
September/October release of a fairly solid beta, although I could be
making that up :).  SGI did announce that they would be releasing their fs
(XFS I think) to open source.  Their fs is fairly bloated, just due to all
it has to do (I'm not real sure what that is, but I get the feeling it's
not bloated due to bad code).  So, in short, Stephen is working on ext3 and
his own journaling system which is not necessarily related to the realease
of the SGI fs.

geisel

If anyone has any better details than myself, please let us all know.