> > support is still a little buggy under linux.

Meaning support for the U/66 is raw.  Ultra/33 is solid and as fast as
intel's PIIX4E chipset.

> > i recommend HIGHLY against using 4 ide drives. they cannot recover from
> > problems like io timeouts, etc, and are not hotswapable.

All true, but these are commercial production issues.  No crash, but
have to power down to replace drives (except for commercial EIDE hot
swap.  Bigger $$ but not as much as SCSI).

I've run both a 2+2 RAID0 and RAID0+1 on a single U/33 with great
results.

2+2 RAID0: hde+hdg = set 1, hdf+hdh = set 2.  Performance was 2x single
disk.

RAID0+1: hde+hdg = stripe set 1, mirrored to hdf+hdh.

RAID5: hde+hdg+hdf+hdh

Or use 2nd U/33 or mix U/33 with onboard: hdc+hde+hdg, hdd+hdf+hdh

Buy big, fast EIDE.

> Would it help if I bought 2 EIDE controllers? That way each EIDE disk
> could get its own cable (if using 4 disks).

Yes, but start with 4 on 1 controller.  Difference will not be
measurable.

--
timothymoore    "Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
bigfoot                                            WS Burroughs.