I would like to run RAID5 (3 disks in the array, maybe some room in the future
for one spare disk). Right now I've got my linux root partition (well, pretty
much everything is under /, it's meant to be a server) on /dev/hda (4 gig
Quantum CR). I have 3 12 gig Quantum EX's: /dev/hdb, hdc, and hdd. I can set
up RAID5 like this but in the HOWTO (and common sense) it states that running
2 disks on the same IDE channel is not a good idea. Slave mode is supposed to
slow things (although if there aren't paraller reads or writes on one channel,
what's the big deal?) and also if a master drive goes down there's supposed to
be a chance it'll bring down the whole channel, failing TWO disks which is an
unrecoverable error.

So my question is, should I get the Promise Ultra66? I only need to run udma
33 (the motherboard only supports that for the one raid disk I'll have on the
onboard secondary ide channel, as master). I figure I should get 2 promise
ultra66's and have them an hde and hdg (I guess).

Is this the right thing to do? I saw a message on the list saying putting 4
disks on 1 controller was fine, and I don't understand why an external card
loaded up like that is any different than loading up an onboard controller.
Though, perhaps he was talking about SCSI.

Any recommendations are GREATLY appreciated. Are the Promise controllers very
expensive?

--
Kiyan Azarbar                       Sound Foundation Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    R.A. Fencing Club