On 07/30/1999 08:51 -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>>      Then what I get from this is that the fundimental unit of measure is
>>      kilo-bytes (KB/1024 bytes)?
>>      Further, that I will have to write up various cases? Okay, I'll do it.
>>      Case for normal generic file system usage and a case for RDBMS usage.
>>      These will include separate considerations. It'll take a while because I
>>      have to interleave it with my WHOIS server project and my day-time job.
>>      I might ask the list for certain empirical results, as I run into the
>>      cases.
>>
>>      Yes, I think it is important, especially for ORDBMS users. I have both
>>      Oracle8 and PostgreSQL. If MySQL users can identify themselves now I
>>      will ask them for case studies later.

End of included message

Actually, it might be useful to consider several different cases (you mentioned
1 and 4, but there are a couple other common cases):
        1) RDBMS raw block device usage
        2) small-file file system (i.e. news server)
        3) large-file file system (i.e. images, archives, data warehousing, ftp
servers)
        4) general purpose file system (somewhere between 2 and 3)

The differences boil down to optimizing for small IOs vs. large IOs
or (less) optimization for the general case. If I had the hardware
to do it, I'd generate as many empirical results as necessary for
you - I've done this before (but using Solaris/SPARC with Veritas
Volume Manager, and at a previous job - I don't have access to that
kinda stuff at the moment). I/O optimization was pretty much my sole
purpose for living for a year or two... ;o)

                                tw

--
| Tim Walberg                  | Phone: 847-782-2472      |

PGP signature