After investigating a bit more, it seems that the boot process
prompting for 'root' password is due to the need to patch a
bit the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script. solved.

Now 'raidstart /dev/md0' still refuses to run on 2.0.37 RAID 0.90
patched kernel and the exact returned code message is:
/dev/md0: Invalid argument
(the same still works perfectly with 2.2)

I also experimented a bit with the new RAID 0.90 in a 2.2.12-pre4
kernel and found it sable.
The only very very tiny problem I could notice is that when setting
a two partitions RAID1 subsystem;
If I simulate a disk change though stopping the RAID subsystem then
zeroing the second partition, then restart the RAID system, everything
will run fine: /dev/mdstat will report the disk failure, then
'raidhotadd' will perform the reconstruction marvelously.
Now, if I zero the first partition instead of the second, then
'raidstart /dev/md0' will fail with
/dev/md0: Invalid argument

The solution is to invert the two partitions in /etc/raidtab !