Hi, ive been trying to get a 4 way ide riad0 going for a coupla weeks to
experiment with setting up a cheap high speed disk subsystem, ive learnt a
great deal.

The one thing im sure of is that the HPT366 is a piece of #$!@#, it just
will not operate in DMA mode under a high load (running bonnie or raid
array)... or maybe im just incompetent?

Anyway the point of this mail is to try and find some information on the
speeds you people out there are getting that do have ide raid0 settup, and
what equipment your using?

Ive found a few pages with results, but mostly raid5 with few details of the
individual drive speeds used, i was thinking it would be handy if there were
some results comparing the raid speed versus the individual drive speed.

The best estimate i could get of my 4-way ide raid (each drive on its own
channel) was about 26MB/s but that was under difficult testing conditions. I
dont know if this is normal.

The drives i was using were between 17-14MB/s. I had read that nearly linear
performance could be achieved. So by my calculations linear speed increase
based on the slowest drive would give 4x14MB/s = 52MB/s so i was achieving
about 50% of the theoretical max speed (NOTE : i have 4 drives each on its
own channel, im not in a master/slave situation).

I was pretty disapointed with this and certainly wouldnt concider it to be
aproaching a linear performance increase.

I would really like to know what is possible with good IDE controllers and
drives.
So, anyone care to share there stats, im sure im not the only one
interested.

Thanks

Glenn McGrath