Well,..

After re-reading several HotTo's and Faq's again I figured out how to do
it.  Specifically http://linas.org/linux/Software-RAID/Software-RAID.html
is very informative.

I didnt realize I couldn't mount the partitions and use them for /var
/home, ect, until after raid has been setup so I figured out that first
install on one partition and then create raid devices and move the /var
/home and other directories over (rename them.. mount partition, move stuff
over).

I still dont know why multidisk/raid support wasn't enabled in /etc/mdstat
but have to do a reinstall anyway so maybe I missed it the first time.

Thanks,

Kevin Adams