hi christoph

> I'm probably too blind to see the forest for the trees, perhaps one of
> you can help me:
> I took SuSE Linux 6.2, took the stock kernel 2.2.11 and compiled a
> kernel with built in raid1 support. I took the mdutils that come with
> SuSE (I think it's V.0.42 or something close to that). I built a md0
> partition, made a filesystem on it, did cat /proc/mdstat, no errors,
> copied another partition on it, no errors, can access the data on that
> md partition, no errors. The problem came when I tried to boot from that
> partition: while booting, I got a kernel panic and the boot process
> stops.

you used a stock linux-2.2.11 kernel ??

kernel panics are usually wrong linux kernel for your /
( ie...copying /vmlinuz around to different machines etc )

if you booting from floppy.. you need to fix it:
        root# rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hda1    if your / is on /dev/hda1

get the latest raid patches from your favorite kernel site
and apply the raid tools and raid kernel patches to it...
        eg: ftp.de.kernel.org:/pub/linux/kernel/daemons/raid/alpha
        eg: ftp.de.kernel.org:/pub/linux/kernel/V2.2/linux-2.2.11*
        raid0145-19990824-2.2.11.gz     ( kernel patches )
        radtools-19990824-0.90.tar.gz   ( raid tools )

for more info:
http://ostenfeld.dk/~jakob/Software-RAID.HOWTO

have fun raiding...
alvin