On 09/10/1999 12:19 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>      Any FAQ's on how to properly setup a raid level 10 configuration?
>>      I think this used to be included in the old raidtools docs, but now it
>>      seems to be missing.
>>
>>      If someone could just send me their raidtab, it would probably give me all
>>      I need.  I'm just confused as to what level gets finish first, cause I
>>      know it matters.
>>
>>      raid 1 first, then stripe it, or raid 0 first then mirror it?

RAID-1+0 generally refers to striping a bunch of mirrors,
where RAID-0+1 means mirring two stripes.

RAID-1+0 is generally more fault tolerant (you can lose
multiple drives, as long as you don't lose both drives
from one mirror, as opposed to RAID-0+1, where you can
lose multiple drives **only** if they are on the same
mirror)

I don't know, however, whether Linux's raid tools support
both options or not (true RAID-1+0 is a lot less common
in industry than RAID-0+1, since it is a little more
difficult to implement correctly).

Hope that's a little help...

(I don't have a raidtab to send you, 'cause I've never
built a Linux box big enough to need either option -
I've only ever used two drives at a time so far.)

                                tw

--
| Tim Walberg                  | Phone: 847-782-2472      |

PGP signature