Jason,
        I had problems where a mismatched  system running 2 PPro 200 would spew
kernel panics and/or lockup.  The problem was that the stepping number
of each processor was different.  The SMP kernel would notify at boot
that they were incompatible, but would go ahead and try to use them
anyway. After a day or two of running, BOOM!  Other OS's are sometimes a
bit more tolerant of mismatched CPU's, however, so you *might* have been
able to run SCO or NT without too much barfing in the past, but Linux
doesn't tolerate mismatches.
        I've had only minor troubles with the aic7xxx series of scsi chipsets,
thus far, but I'm not surprised by the other individual who mentions
problems with the Intel card.  There appears to be some differences,
major differences, between Intel cards that are supposedly the same.  My
guess is that it goes back to not-so-strict revision control at Intel.
Some cards and/or chipsets, which *appear* to be identical, are actually
slightly different, but Intel marks them as the same anyway. This isn't
just Intel, either, 3Com is guilty, to a small degree, of the same thing
with certain lines of cards.
        I would probably try to pull a CPU, and see how it runs, and if you
still get lockups, then try to disable or remove (if it's not built-in)
the Intel card and replace it with something else (or leave out the
network entirely, for now just for testing).
        BTW, you *should* be able to get a hold of a driver for that DAC960.
Compaq did some development with DAC960 hardware raid controllers, and
you might try to contact them.  The "stock" Red Hat 6.0 kernel comes
with some DAC960 drivers, and if that doesn't have it, you can try to
contact Mylex directly.

        Hope this helps,
Tom

--
Tom Kunz    Tool Developer   Software Consulting Services
PGP Key http://www.users.fast.net/~tkunz/pgp.html