I have fiddled around w/ raid1 on an IDE system w/ only 1 /boot partition. I
plan to install my 1st production server w/ a couple of SCSI drives shortly.
I've been reading on the list a couple of possibities for booting off the
2nd drive should the 1st fail completely.

One option is to raid /boot and describe the disk geometry in lilo.conf. I
don't think this will work on our Dells because the 1st disk will have a
utility partition at the beginning. Therefore, the /boot partitions will
start in different locations. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The other option seems to be to dd /boot and the bootsector to the 2nd
drive. In a situation where the 1st drive has been removed, I understand the
2nd drive will become sda. Would the system then boot right up from the 2nd
drive or is there something else?