Does anyone know anything about Kernel 2.2's ability to watch for thread
deadlocks, and kill off the offending thread?

I remember reading a snipit somewhere that talked of this ability and
problems people had been seeing.  I have been looking through linux
source for the code but have yet to find it.

While constructing and formatting a massive raid 5 array on four 25gig
IDE drives, I saw init run multiple times, and mke2fs was killed
periodically with a signal 9 from nowhere.

I assume that it is this watchdog code and I want to experiment with it.

Clay